1950s Double Helix Sideboard by Gordon Russell
The Double Helix sideboard was designed by David Booth and Judith Ledeboer in 1950 for Gordon Russell. Named after the recently discovered Double Helix strand structure of DNA it was exhibited at the Festival of Britain in 1951 and the V&A hold an example in their permanent collection. This early example features the Utility Mark and the original internal layout. The frame is made of mahogany with Bombay rosewood veneer door fronts that have had the pattern routed out to reveal the white birch beneath. It contains a double cupboard with brass drop handles containing an internal shelf and baize lined cutlery drawer.
The item has been refinished and is generally in very good condition with the some signs of wear and tear including a cosmetic repair to the bottom of the right hand side panel.
Out of stock